Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I really did it!

For a long while I have been toying with the idea of making the switch to a Bernina.
Yesterday, I popped into my local Bernina shop.
And what do you know, it was the last day of their sale.
I quickly texted my husband about possibly getting a new machine.
Well, he didn't write me back within the minute 
so I said "Wrap her up!"


Luckily, my guy knows that a sewing machine is to me what golf clubs and gun collections are to men.
He was more than supportive!  
I really love that man :-)
So my new baby is a Quilter's Edition.
It has this amazing stitch regulator for free motion quilting.
I have such a love of FMQ'ing but my current machine isn't a fan.
For whatever reason, when I drop my lower feed it becomes mildly unhappy.


I Have LOVED my Viking Emerald!
This thing is a power house and can sew through any kind of thickness.
In the last 15 years I have sewn exclusively on Viking machines.
What can I say, I'm a fan!
I am mulling over the decision....to sell or not to sell?
This machine is a rock star.
I could save it for my daughter who will likely start learning in a few short years.
Or I could sell it.
It would be a shame to let it just sit around playing second fiddle.

I would love some advice!
Anyone else get attached to their machines like me?

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations, I got the exact same Bernina 550 QE just before Xmas and I love it!!! I had a Sapphire but never bonded with it, my Mom has the Emerald.

    The BSR is AMAZING, have a look at what I've been able to do with it after just a month of practicing on weekends: http://bendingpins.com/2012/01/23/thank-you-alex/

    It has it's quirks, sometimes when I'm in BSR mode, it'll switch to straight stitch but doesn't affect my work. Just put the needle up and turn it off and on again.

    Have fun and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! what a great purchase. keep us updated on how you like the new machine. i don't know if i can take that leap, although, my pfaff is acting up lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new purchase! The next time I upgrade, I hope it is a Bernina as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun to get a new 'toy'?! I mean, as moms we deserve things too- especially if it helps your creative side. I LOVE your quilts you make. The colors you put together are "sew" pretty. As for selling your older machine, well it might help make up for money you spent on your new one(wink, wink) However, saving it for your daughter is a nice jester...but I'm sure by the time she is ready to use it, you'll be on to something even better and can give her what your using now( smile) Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am a Bernina girl all the way! How lucky to catch them on a sale. My mom has the same one you do and she loves the stitch regulator. Maybe one day...sigh :)

    I would say save it for your daughter! If it's a good machine, it could be a great starter machine for her. (Mine is and OLD Bernina but has lasted me all this time!) I made my first quilt when I was sixteen and it was really nice to have my own machine.

    So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first machine was a Viking, bought on credit in 1971. I had that machine, never serviced it and it finally died in 2004! So do the math It was a wonderful machine. So don't sell. In 2004 Mr. R bought me my first Bernina Q153 and now I have the 820. You are going to love Bernina. The Swiss really know how to make a good machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! I am still a few years away from getting a bernina but definitely want one in the future. I am sure you will make amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your Bernina! I just purchased the Bernina 330 last month and I love it! But I am still holding onto my old Babylock dinosaur for my neices to play with. You won't regret holding onto your Viking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't take advice from me... i have 4 sewing machines! yes four! and a serger! i say keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep the Viking! You may need it as a back up one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would keep the Viking. Every machine has its attributes, you may find the Bernina is not as good as the Viking as some things. (For example, my old Kenmore is much better at sewing through many layers of fabric than my Pfaff is.) And also...the Bernina will need to go in for cleaning/service once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bernina QE is my dream machine!! I hope you love her! Probably a good idea to hold on to your old machine. Your daughter will love to have on to learn on :)

    ReplyDelete